The varied carpet beetle is a textile insect which can sometimes be mistaken for the common clothes moth or even bed bugs. As opposed to the Common Clothes Moth, Carpet Beetles do not fly regularly. As a result, they may go unnoticed for a considerable amount of time.
- Habitat: Domestic homes, carpets, fabrics, museums, birds nests, rugs and commercial shops, particular ones storing natural fabrics.
- Larvae: also known as “wooly bears” Carpet Beetle larvae can sometimes cause welts to people’s skin which looks like bites with their fine bristles. This can then mislead people to thinking they may have a bed bug infestation, when in fact they have Carpet Beetles.
- Damage: Similar to the Common Clothes Moth they will tend to feed off keratin in fabrics such as wool and cashmere. Patches and holes in carpets, rugs and clothes is usually a tell tale sign of the Varied Carpet Beetle.
- Prevention: Refrain from; storing offcuts of carpet in loft spaces, deep cleaning and hoovering under furniture on carpeted areas. Storing of unwanted natural fabrics and clearing out old birds nest from loft and eve spaces.
Facts: Carpet Beetle
- Name: Varied Carpet Beetle “Anthrenus verbasci”
- Features: Adults — 2-3mm, Oval shape with orange, black and white speckled appearance. Larvae is 4mm – dark/brownish colour with fine hair like bristles. Most active in October before hibernation.
- Sustenance: Adults feed on pollen and nectar. Larvae feed on natural fabrics in clothing, carpets, birds nests, animal hairs and rugs.
- Life expectancy: 9-months to 2 years
- Reproduction: Females lay up to 100 eggs which will hatch 10 days to 1 month after being laid.
Carpet Beetle Removal for London homes
Identify: Free onsite site survey to be carried out to inspect for main sources of activity and best course of treatment.
Report: Risk assessment and report will follow with recommendations, treatment prior and course of action
Treat & Monitor : Typically a minimum of two courses of recommended treatment will be carried out and then closely monitored to make sure no further activity is located.
Carpet beetle removal for London business:
Offices: with staff members coming and going Carpet Beetles can be brought in from infested homes. There is also a risk of carpeted areas getting infested and then staff members potentially getting allergic reactions from the larvae causing welts. Regular Pest Control inspections will pick up any potential activity and a treatment plan can be put in place before it gets out of control.
Clothing and fabric shops: with natural fabrics being stored and constantly brought in can bring a high risk to potential Carpet Beetle infestation. Pest Control inspections, cleaning and adequate stock keeping of fabrics will help reduce the chance of infestation.
Blocks of flats: carpeted communal areas can be targets for the Carpet Beetle and connecting flats can also bring risk of activity in London’s blocks of flats. Systematic pest control inspections can help identify and control activity, whilst also keeping buildings free from other unwanted pests
Carpet Beetle Removal London - Frequently Asked Questions
Carpet Beetles can be brought into your London home through a number of sources. Clothing, shopping, contaminated fabrics & furnishing and animal fur are some of the main culprits.
Yes, the larvae can cause allergic reactions to peoples skin which then leads to welts which is an unpleasant experience for anyone involved
The longer Carpet Beetles are left untreated, the more likely the risk of damage to personal belongings becomes and also allergic reactions to members of the household.
- Call a professional pest control company to carry out a site survey and necessary course of treatment for your London home.
- Deep cleaning and hoovering of all areas making sure the bag or hoover is emptied.
- Disposing of heavily infested items.
- Removal of old birds nests and offcuts for carpet from loft and eve spaces.